Tortellini add a satisfying goodness to this vegetable stew. Youll find them in the frozen foods section of most supermarkets, shelved near ravioli and other frozen pastas.
MEAL PLAN: This stew is nicely balanced with a salad of mixed greens with seedless orange sections and a few slivered toasted almonds tossed with a red wine vinaigrette. Serve with breadsticks on the side.
- 16-oz. pkg. frozen tortellini
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 10-oz. bag fresh spinach, stemmed and chopped, or 10-oz. pkg. frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 28-oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp. dried basil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Bring large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add tortellini, stirring to prevent sticking, and cook according to package directions until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in large saucepan, heat oil over low heat. Add garlic, and cook. Stir often, until golden, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in spinach, tomatoes, oregano and basil. Increase heat to medium, and bring to a simmer. Cook until heated through, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
- Drain tortellini well, then stir into tomato mixture along with parsley. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve in shallow bowls, sprinkled with Parmesan if desired.
- Serving Size: 6 servings
- Calories: 198
- Carbohydrate Content: 24 g
- Cholesterol Content: 98 mg
- Fat Content: 8 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 10 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 411 mg