Corn tortillas work magic here: As they break down while cooking, they thicken the soup.
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (about 2 tsp.)
- 1 32-oz. can chopped fire-roasted tomatoes
- 3 6-inch corn tortillas, cut into quarters
- 3 Tbs. chopped cilantro
- 1 tsp. hot sauce, optional
- 3 Tbs. fresh goat cheese, softened
- 2 Tbs. plain low-fat yogurt
- Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Add onion, and sauté 7 minutes, or until soft, stirring occasionally. Add garlic, and sauté 1 minute more.
- Add tomatoes, 2 cups water and tortillas. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium low. Cover, and simmer 15 minutes, or until tortillas have broken down into tiny pieces. Stir in cilantro and hot sauce, if using, and season with salt and pepper.
- Combine goat cheese and yogurt in small bowl. Ladle soup into bowls, then swirl goat cheese mixture into each serving.
- Serving Size: Serves 6
- Calories: 119
- Carbohydrate Content: 15 g
- Cholesterol Content: 4 mg
- Fat Content: 4 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 488 mg
- Sugar Content: 6 g