An eye-catching main dish, this tiered tortilla cake will delight brunch or dinner crowds with its robust flavors. Offer a first course bowl of guacamole with chips and, for dessert, chocolate ice cream with chocolate sauce.
- 2 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 12 oz. ground taco-seasoned soy “meat”
- 2 cups salsa
- 1 1/2 cups pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 5 8-inch low-fat flour tortillas
- 8 oz. grated soy cheddar-flavored cheese
- 1 large tomato, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves for garnish
- 1/2 avocado, diced, for garnish
- 1/2 cup soy sour cream for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425F. Spray 10-inch round, deep cake pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Sauté “meat” 3 to 4 minutes, add salsa and beans, and cook until heated through, about 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Place 1 flour tortilla in bottom of cake pan, and place about 1/2 cup “meat” mixture over top, spreading out to cover surface. Sprinkle with about 1/4 cup cheese. Top with second tortilla, and repeat with filling mixture and cheese. Repeat procedure with remainder of tortillas, filling mixture and cheese until all ingredients are used up. Spoon any remaining mixture over top, place tomato slices on mixture and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake about 10 minutes, or until cheese melts, and remove from oven. Garnish with cilantro, diced avocado and soy sour cream. To serve, slice like a cake, including garnishes with each portion.
- Serving Size: Serves 6 to 8
- Calories: 340
- Carbohydrate Content: 38 g
- Fat Content: 12 g
- Fiber Content: 7 g
- Protein Content: 20 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 1120 mg
- Sugar Content: 4 g