Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
Pricking the surface of the unbaked loaf is an old Irish tradition to let the fairies out.
- Preheat oven to 425F. Spray round 8-inch cake pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine flour, caraway seeds, sugar and salt in mixing bowl. In separate bowl, whisk baking soda into buttermilk. Make a well in center of flour. Pour buttermilk mixture into well, and stir to blend, using large spatula or wooden spoon. Dough should be soft but not sticky; if still sticky, work in 1/4 cup flour at a time until dough holds together.
- Scrape dough into cake pan. Lightly flour hands, and pat dough flat. Using sharp knife, cut deep cross on top. Prick each quarter three or four times with fork.
- Bake bread 30 minutes, or until golden brown on top and knife inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from pan, and cool slightly on rack. Serve warm with butter.
- Serving Size Serves 8
- Calories 200
- Carbohydrate Content 40 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 1 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0 g
- Sodium Content 500 mg
- Sugar Content 5 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g