Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
This fragrant dish was inspired by the Turkish method for making pilaf.
- Place colander in sink or bowl. Place eggplant cubes in colander, and sprinkle generously with salt. Toss to combine, and let sit 1⁄2 hour. Drain on paper towel-lined plate.
- Heat 2 Tbs. olive oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add eggplant, and cook 10 minutes, or until browned, stirring occasionally. Transfer eggplant to plate lined with paper towels to drain.
- Add 2 Tbs. oil to skillet; reduce heat to medium. Stir in onions and pine nuts; cook 5 minutes, stirring, or until onions are translucent. Add rice, and cook 5 minutes, or until pine nuts begin to brown. Stir in allspice and cinnamon; cook 1 minute. Add eggplant, tomatoes, chickpeas, currants, bay leaf and 3 cups water. Add salt and black pepper to taste. Reduce heat to low; cover, and simmer 20 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat, and let sit, covered, 10 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley, and serve immediately.
- Serving Size Serves 8
- Calories 347
- Carbohydrate Content 54 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 12 g
- Fiber Content 11 g
- Protein Content 9 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 326 mg
- Sugar Content 14 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g