Thrifty Italian cooks have developed a subcuisine based on leftovers; and day-old bread in particular has inspired a number of excellent solutions.
- 4 slices sourdough bread, cut 1/2 inch thick
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and halved
- 2 ripe medium tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 15-oz. can white cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium green bell pepper, roasted and cut into thin strips
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 4 1/2 tsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 3 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbs. vegetable broth
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to broil. Rub bread slices with garlic. Toast bread, turning once, about 4 minutes on each side.
- Dressing: In small bowl, whisk together vinegar, mustard, oil and broth until well blended. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cut bread into small cubes and put into serving bowl. Add tomatoes, beans, roasted pepper and basil. Pour dressing over salad and toss to mix and coat. Let rest 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
- Serving Size: 4 Servings
- Calories: 202
- Carbohydrate Content: 30 g
- Fat Content: 8 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 8 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 145 mg