For an easy way to wash kale, swish it around in a large bowl of water with 1 tablespoon salt, then rinse. The abrasive action of the salt works to remove grit.
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 medium-size onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (about 1 Tbs.)
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 1/2 lb. kale, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 12 cups)
- 1 14.5-oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1 15-oz. can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 3/4 cup pitted black olives, chopped
- 1 12-oz. pkg. whole-wheat spaghetti
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté onion in oil 5 minutes, or until softened. Stir in garlic and red pepper flakes.
- Add 6 cups kale, and cook 2 minutes, or until wilted, tossing occasionally. Add remaining kale, tomatoes, broth and salt. Cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer 15 minutes, or until soupy, tossing occasionally. Stir in beans and olives.
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Drain, and return to pot with kale mixture. Cook 2 minutes over medium heat, or until pasta absorbs most of liquid. Sprinkle with Parmesan, and season with salt and pepper.
- Serving Size: Serves 8
- Calories: 270
- Carbohydrate Content: 46 g
- Cholesterol Content: 2 mg
- Fat Content: 7 g
- Fiber Content: 10 g
- Protein Content: 10 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 379 mg
- Sugar Content: 5 g