Cameni Williams, the creator of this mushroom extravaganza, is a native of San Juan Island off of Washington state. She has followed her culinary passion all over the world from New York to France to Southern Mexico and back again. She has been an avid reader of Vegetarian Times for the past 10 years.
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 1/2 lb. portobello, cremini or wild mushrooms
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped sage
- 1/4 cup chopped rosemary
- 1 large round loaf of artisan bread, about 1 lb.
- 1 cup shredded low-fat Swiss cheese
- 2 large eggs, beaten with 1/4 cup nonfat milk
1. Combine the oil, garlic, salt and pepper in a large bowl, and add the mushrooms. Marinate them for at least 24 hours.
2. Preheat the oven to 425°F. Remove mushrooms from marinade, and roast them for 45 minutes. Remove from the oven, cool and chop coarsely. Set aside. Reduce the temperature to 350°F.
3. Heat the remaining marinade in a large skillet over medium heat, and sauté the onion for 7 minutes, or until translucent. Add the mushrooms and herbs, and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat, and cool.
4. Cut a hole in the top of the bread, about 1/2 inch down from the top, and hollow out the loaf. Reserve the soft breadcrumbs in small pieces.
5. Transfer the mushroom mixture to a large bowl, and add about 1/2 cup of the reserved breadcrumbs. Sprinkle in the cheese, salt and pepper, and add the eggs. Stir until the mixture is moistened throughout.
6. Stuff the mixture back into the hollowed-out bread, and wrap the loaf in foil. Be sure that the loaf is totally covered to prevent it from drying out.
7. Bake the loaf until the mixture is cooked through, for about 45 minutes. Remove from the oven, unwrap the foil and cool slightly. Slice the loaf, and serve with a tart green salad.
- Serving Size: Serves 8
- Calories: 390
- Carbohydrate Content: 17 g
- Cholesterol Content: 60 mg
- Fat Content: 31 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 11 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 5 g
- Sodium Content: 115 mg
- Sugar Content: 4 g