Although this recipe doesn’t appear in the sample menu, we’ve included it as an extra. It is adapted from one of Ornish’s other books, Everyday Cooking with Dr. Dean Ornish (HarperPerennial, 1996).
- Preheat oven to 450˚F. Lightly coat a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with vegetable oil cooking spray.
- In medium saucepan over medium-high heat, combine onion, bell pepper, garlic, chili powder, cumin and vegetable broth. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion and pepper have softened, 5 minutes. Add beans with their liquid and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 10 minutes. Stir in corn and simmer 2 minutes. Set strainer over a bowl; strain mixture, reserving liquid.
- Steam tortillas: Put a stack between damp paper towels and microwave on high until they are soft and pliable, about 1 minute.
- Put 1⁄2 cup drained filling in each tortilla, then roll and place side by side in prepared baking dish. Drizzle filled tortillas with reserved bean-tomato juices. Cover dish with foil and bake until heated through, about 15 minutes. Serve hot.
- Serving Size: Serves 4
- Calories: 388
- Carbohydrate Content: 76 g
- Protein Content: 18 g
- Sodium Content: 849 mg