Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
Russet potatoes contribute the essential starchy texture to hold these fritters together, and sweet potatoes add flavor and color.
1. Place potatoes in colander, squeeze out water, and discard. Mix potatoes and grated onions in large bowl.
2. Stir egg yolks into potatoes. Fold in flour and baking powder, and season with salt and pepper, if desired.
3. Beat egg whites in separate bowl with electric mixer until soft peaks form. Fold egg whites and green onions into potato mixture.
4. Coat bottom of skillet with oil, and heat over medium-high heat until drop of batter sizzles on surface. Ladle 1/4cup batter per pancake onto skillet, and flatten with spatula. Fry 3 to 4 minutes on each side, or until browned. Transfer to paper-towel-lined plate to drain excess oil. Add more oil as needed to fry remaining batter.
- Serving Size Makes 16 pancakes
- Calories 90
- Carbohydrate Content 14 g
- Cholesterol Content 26 mg
- Fat Content 3 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 2 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0 g
- Sodium Content 179 mg
- Sugar Content 2 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g