Yes, meatloaf is the mainstay of the Little familys table. Even the cat, Snowbell, jokes about it. But were sure Stuart and his brother would gobble up this from-scratch macaroni and cheese. Our delicious recipe makes two versions, so youll need two 6-cup casserole dishes. For the kids, theres a straightforward mac-cheese thats sure to encourage second helpings. For the adults, weve added chopped spinach and a sliced tomatowonderful foils for sharp cheddar cheese. You can assemble the casseroles a day ahead. Pair the dishes with a crisp green salad.
- 3 Tbs. unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 Tbs. all-purpose flour
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 1/2 tsp. sweet paprika
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 8 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 oz. elbow macaroni, cooked according to package directions
- 3 Tbs. shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 4 oz. frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry of excess water
- 1 medium-sized tomato, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, and sauté until wilted, about 3 minutes. Sprinkle with flour, and cook 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Do not let flour brown. Add milk, paprika, black pepper, nutmeg and cayenne. Whisk to combine. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and cook 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thickened. Add cheddar cheese, and whisk gently until smooth.
- Add cooked macaroni, and gently stir until macaroni is well coated. Pour half the mixture into one casserole. Sprinkle with 1 Tbs. Parmesan cheese and 1/4 cup breadcrumbs. Spray generously with nonstick cooking spray.
- Pour half remaining macaroni mixture into second casserole. Top evenly with chopped spinach. Sprinkle with 1 Tbs. Parmesan cheese. Add remaining macaroni mixture. Place slices of tomato evenly on top, and sprinkle with 1 Tbs. Parmesan cheese and remaining breadcrumbs. Spray generously with nonstick cooking spray.
- Bake 30 to 40 minutes, or until browned and bubbling. Let rest 10 minutes before serving.
- Serving Size: Serves 6
- Calories: 450
- Carbohydrate Content: 48 g
- Cholesterol Content: 55 mg
- Fat Content: 18 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 22 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 11 g
- Sodium Content: 510 mg
- Sugar Content: 9 g