Using all of the green vegetables listed will produce a luscious and unusual pie.
- 1 12- to 14-inch pizza crust
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped broccoli
- 1/2 cup chopped frozen artichoke hearts, or canned and drained
- 1 small zucchini, sliced into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1/2 cup (8 to 10 spears) asparagus tips, cut into 1-inch-long pieces
- 1 cup fresh spinach, sliced into 1/2-inch-wide ribbons
- 1/2 cup pesto sauce
- 8 oz. shredded low-fat, regular or soy mozzarella
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 450F. Prebake fresh pizza crust, if using, for 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from oven, and set aside to cool slightly.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat, and saut8E onions for 3 to 4 minutes. Add broccoli, artichokes, zucchini and asparagus. Cover, and cook for 4 to 5 minutes more, stirring occasionally until vegetables begin to soften. Remove from heat, and add spinach. Stir mixture until spinach has just begun to wilt, for approximately 1 minute.
- Spoon pesto sauce on crust, spreading it evenly. Top with cooked vegetables, and sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until cheeses melt completely. Remove from oven, and serve.
A medium-bodied Italian red would be a good match for the artichokes, asparagus and pesto in this pizza. Try the Siema Rosso Lodali or the Rosso di Montalcino, both simple, earthy reds.
- Serving Size: Serves 6
- Calories: 430
- Carbohydrate Content: 34 g
- Cholesterol Content: 30 mg
- Fat Content: 24 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 21 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 8 g
- Sodium Content: 700 mg
- Sugar Content: 2 g