This pizza sounds unusual, but the addition of mashed potatoes adds a pleasing taste and texture. If you are using leftover mashed potatoes, reheat them so that theyll spread more easily. To make roasted garlic, cut 1/2 to 1 inch off top of a full head of garlic, drizzle garlic with 1 tablespoon olive oil, wrap head in aluminum foil and roast for 1 hour at 400F. Cool, then squeeze roasted garlic out of the cloves and onto the pizza crust. For garlic lovers, double the amount of garlic.
- 1 12- to 14-inch pizza crust
- 1 Tbs. olive oil for brushing, optional
- 1 head roasted garlic
- 1 to 2 cups warm mashed potatoes
- 1 15-oz. container nonfat ricotta cheese, optional
- 2 cups grated soy mozzarella cheese, or 8 oz. fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 450F. Prebake fresh pizza crust, if using, for 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from oven, and set aside to cool slightly.
- Brush pizza crust with olive oil, if using, and spread roasted garlic on crust. Top with spoonfuls of potatoes, spreading potatoes evenly over garlic, 1DA2- to 1-inch thick. Spoon ricotta, if using, over potatoes, and top with shredded mozzarella.
- Bake for 12 to 14 minutes, or until cheese melts and pizza is hot all the way through.
A not-too-snappy Italian white would be a terrific match with the roasted garlic and gooey cheeses. Try the Forchir Villa del Borgo Friuli Pinot Grigio or the Movia Italian Chardonnay.
- Serving Size: Serves 6
- Calories: 340
- Carbohydrate Content: 42 g
- Cholesterol Content: 35 mg
- Fat Content: 9 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 21 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 4 g
- Sodium Content: 650 mg
- Sugar Content: 4 g