This dense, fudgy chocolate cake, coated with whipped cream frosting, is about as indulgent as a cake can be. You can make the cake and frosting a day ahead.
- To make Chocolate Whipped Cream Frosting: Chop chocolate into small pieces, and put in heatproof bowl. In a small saucepan, bring heavy cream just to a boil, taking care not to scald it, and pour over chocolate. Make sure chocolate pieces are covered with cream, and let sit 1 minute. Using rubber spatula, stir until chocolate melts. Cover, and refrigerate at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.
- To make Chocolate Cake: Preheat oven to 375F. Spray 10-inch springform pan with nonstick cooking spray, and line bottom with parchment.
- Put chocolates and butter in heatproof bowl over simmering water; stir until melted. Set aside to cool to lukewarm.
- Beat eggs until foamy. Add sugar 3 or 4 Tbs. at a time, and continue beating until thick and pale yellow. Gently fold in cooled chocolate, flour, vanilla and salt. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake 25 minutes, or until center is almost firm. Cool on rack 10 minutes; remove from pan, and return to rack. When cool, refrigerate. Cake firms when it chills, resembling baked fudge.
- To serve, whip cold frosting for 30 seconds to 1 minute, or until spreadable. Ice sides and top of cake.
- Serving Size Serves 12
- Calories 440
- Carbohydrate Content 32 g
- Cholesterol Content 145 mg
- Fat Content 33 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content 20 g
- Sodium Content 50 mg
- Sugar Content 26 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g