This incredibly moist cake is made from two secret healthy ingredients: avocados and beets. Avocados are rich in healthy fats and fiber; beets are a good source of potassium and add natural sweetness.
- Coconut or vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1 3/4 cups gluten-free 1-to-1 baking flour (e.g., Bob’s Red Mill)
- 3/4 cup unsweetened dark Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup almond meal/flour
- 1 tsp aluminum-free baking powder
- 1 fully ripe avocado, finely mashed
- 3/4 cup granulated coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup finely grated beets (loosely packed)
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tbsp unrefined coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp organic vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp apple-cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp powdered sugar
Heat oven to 350°. Cut a round parchment-paper base for the bottom of your 8-inch cake pan. Grease pan with spray; add parchment round to the base.
In a bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, almond meal, and baking powder.
In a second bowl, whisk together avocado, coconut sugar, and beets. Slowly whisk in coconut oil and vanilla extract. Add 1 cup water, and whisk to combine well.
Incorporate the flour mixture into the wet ingredients until combined.
In a third bowl, combine baking soda and apple-cider vinegar until mixture fizzes. Fold into cake batter.
Using a rubber spatula, spread cake batter evenly into pan. Bake on the center rack until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean, 22–24 minutes. Once cooled, use a mesh sifter to dust the cake top with powdered sugar.
See also Vegan Carrot Cake
- Serving Size: 12
- Calories: 291
- Fat Content: 14 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 8 g