You could serve this at a fancy dinner party in Paris, and no one would ever guess that it’s vegan! Strong coffee gives it flavor depth. Folding in Hip Whip, a vegan whipped topping available in the frozen foods section of most natural foods stores, keeps it light, smooth and creamy when frozen. (Find sources for Hip Whip at nowandzen.net.)
- 1 1/2 cups vegan carob chips
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2 cup hot, strong coffee
- 2 Tbs. maple syrup or corn syrup
- 1 16-oz. pkg. silken tofu, drained
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tub (7.5 oz) vegan frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Confectioners’ sugar, optional
- Cut strips of aluminum foil long enough to wrap around 6 3-oz. demitasse cups and high enough to make a 1 1/2-inch collar over rims. Secure with a rubber band. (Or, tear a length of foil long enough to go around a 10-oz. soufflé dish. Fold foil in half lengthwise, wind it around dish so it’s at least 3 inches above rim. Tie with string.)
- Put carob chips into heatproof bowl over pan of simmering water, and melt. Meanwhile, whisk together cocoa, coffee and maple syrup, and stir into melted carob mixture.
- Put tofu in blender or food processor; purée 3 minutes, or until smooth. Add carob mixture and vanilla, and process until smooth. Transfer mixture to large bowl.
- Whisk thawed whipped topping into carob-tofu mixture. Fill cups 1 inch above rim, or fill dish 2 inches above rim. Freeze 3 hours, or overnight. Remove from freezer 20 to 30 minutes before serving to soften. Sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar, if desired.
- Serving Size: SERVES 8
- Calories: 220
- Carbohydrate Content: 30 g
- Fat Content: 11 g
- Fiber Content: 1 g
- Protein Content: 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 6 g
- Sodium Content: 15 mg
- Sugar Content: 15 g