Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
You could serve this at a fancy dinner party in Paris, and no one would ever guess that it’s vegan! Strong coffee gives it flavor depth. Folding in Hip Whip, a vegan whipped topping available in the frozen foods section of most natural foods stores, keeps it light, smooth and creamy when frozen. (Find sources for Hip Whip at nowandzen.net.)
- Cut strips of aluminum foil long enough to wrap around 6 3-oz. demitasse cups and high enough to make a 1 1/2-inch collar over rims. Secure with a rubber band. (Or, tear a length of foil long enough to go around a 10-oz. soufflé dish. Fold foil in half lengthwise, wind it around dish so it’s at least 3 inches above rim. Tie with string.)
- Put carob chips into heatproof bowl over pan of simmering water, and melt. Meanwhile, whisk together cocoa, coffee and maple syrup, and stir into melted carob mixture.
- Put tofu in blender or food processor; purée 3 minutes, or until smooth. Add carob mixture and vanilla, and process until smooth. Transfer mixture to large bowl.
- Whisk thawed whipped topping into carob-tofu mixture. Fill cups 1 inch above rim, or fill dish 2 inches above rim. Freeze 3 hours, or overnight. Remove from freezer 20 to 30 minutes before serving to soften. Sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar, if desired.
- Serving Size SERVES 8
- Calories 220
- Carbohydrate Content 30 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 11 g
- Fiber Content 1 g
- Protein Content 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content 6 g
- Sodium Content 15 mg
- Sugar Content 15 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g