Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
The tomato sauce recipe makes enough to serve on the side or to freeze and enjoy later with pasta.
1. To make Sauce: In large, heavy saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until onion is soft, about 5 minutes. Add tomato paste and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add tomatoes with juice, basil, parsley, oregano and red pepper flakes. Cover and simmer over low heat about 1 hour. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Meanwhile, bring large pot of water to boil. When water boils, add salt and noodles. Cook until al dente, about 12 minutes. Drain, rinse with water and drain again.
3. Preheat oven to 400°F. Crumble tofu into medium bowl. Add garlic, basil, parsley, salt and pepper. Stir until well blended.
4. Spoon about 1 cup sauce over bottom of 13×9-inch baking dish. Add layer of noodles and top with one-third tofu mixture. Spoon over about 1 1/2 cups sauce and top with another layer of noodles. Cover with one-third tofu mixture and top with 1 1/2 cups of sauce and another layer of noodles. Top with remaining tofu mixture and 1 cup sauce.
5. Cover with foil and bake 30 minutes. Remove from oven and let stand about 15 minutes before cutting and serving. Serve with remaining sauce.
- Serving Size Serves 12
- Calories 219
- Carbohydrate Content 27 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 6 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 13 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 493 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g