Dominique Nabholz took her inspiration for this veggie-packed dish from her “fantastic mother-in-law Marge,” who made a version of this comforting meal for Dominique and her husband during a holiday visit.
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed (about 3 1/2 cups)
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled and cubed (about 3 cups)
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 2 shallots, chopped (about 1/4 cup)
- 1 clove garlic, minced (about 1 tsp.)
- 1 12-oz. pkg. soy crumbles
- 8 shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 0.65-oz. pkg. vegan brown gravy mix
- 3 carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 2/3 cup soymilk or low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 Tbs. low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 tsp. nonhydrogenated vegan margarine
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 350F. Place potatoes in large pot and cover with 2 inches water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium, and cook 15 minutes, or until tender.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add shallots, and cook 3 minutes, or until translucent. Add garlic; cook 1 minute. Add soy crumbles and mushrooms, and cook 3 minutes more, or until mushrooms are soft.
- Sprinkle gravy mix into skillet. Stir in 1 1/2 cups water and bring to a simmer. Add carrots and peas, and cook 10 minutes, or until tender.
- Drain potatoes, and mash with soymilk, broth and margarine. Season with garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Spread soy crumble mixture evenly in large baking dish. Top with mashed potatoes. Bake 25 to 35 minutes, or until lower layer bubbles around edges of mashed potatoes.
- Serving Size: Serves 6
- Calories: 352
- Carbohydrate Content: 50 g
- Fat Content: 10 g
- Fiber Content: 10 g
- Protein Content: 19 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 624 mg
- Sugar Content: 9 g