Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
The nice thing about these grilled veggies is that they taste good hot or cold. Soaking the radicchio in cold water before grilling keeps it from getting too bitter.
1. Soak radicchio quarters in bowl of cold water 1 hour, placing plate on top to keep radicchio submerged. Drain, squeeze dry with clean towels, and cut each quarter into 3 1-inch sections, discarding stem portion.
2. Set steamer basket in large saucepan filled with 1 inch of water, and bring to a simmer. Place eggplant in basket, cover, and steam 1 minute. Add squash, cover, and cook 5 minutes more. Cool.
3. Soak raisins in small bowl of warm water 5 to 10 minutes. Drain, chop, and set aside.
4. Toast pine nuts in dry skillet 3 to 5 minutes, or until beginning to brown. Chop 3 Tbs. pine nuts, and leave 1 Tbs. whole. Combine pine nuts with chopped raisins.
5. Thread 1 radicchio section, 1 avocado cube, 1 squash slice, and 1 eggplant slice onto each skewer. Repeat threading so each skewer has 2 of each vegetable.
6. Heat oil in small skillet over medium heat. Add garlic, marjoram, and pinch of salt; cook 2 minutes, swirling skillet occasionally. Add balsamic vinegar, then remove from heat. Brush kebabs with oil mixture. Return pan to medium heat, add raisins and pine nuts, and cook 30 seconds to 1 minute. Set aside.
7. Heat grill to high. Grease grill grate with oil. Set kebabs on grill, adjusting eggplant and squash pieces so they touch grill as much as possible. Cook 2 to 4 minutes with lid open. Flip kebabs, and cook 2 to 4 minutes more, or until grill marks appear. Transfer to serving platter, and spoon raisin and pine nut mixture over kebabs.
- Serving Size Makes 6 kebabs
- Calories 226
- Carbohydrate Content 15 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 19 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 37 mg
- Sugar Content 7 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g