Basmati rice has a delicious, nutty flavor. Look for it in large supermarkets or natural food stores.
Meal Plan: A simple lettuce, tomato and cucumber salad with low-fat dressing of your choice is a nice accompaniment.
- 1 1/2 cups basmati rice
- 1 lb. brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, halved
- 4 shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
- 1/2 butternut squash, seeded and cubed
- 1 carrot, cut into matchsticks
- 1 cup canned garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup packed chopped kale
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1/4 cup tamari
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- Toasted pumpkin seeds for garnish
- In medium saucepan, combine rice and 3 cups water. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat, and simmer until water has been absorbed, about 20 minutes.
- In large saucepan fitted with steamer basket, bring 2 inches water to a boil, and steam brussels sprouts until bright green and still crisp, about 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- In large, heavy skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic, mushrooms, squash and carrot, and cook, stirring often, until tender, 5 minutes. Add beans and kale, and cook, stirring often, until kale is bright green, 1 to 2 minutes. Add brussels sprouts, and reduce heat to medium-low.
- In small bowl, mix soy milk, tamari and nutritional yeast. Pour over vegetables in skillet, and cover. Remove skillet from heat, and let stand 1 to 2 minutes.
- Serve over basmati rice and garnish each serving with pumpkins seeds.
Recipe adapted from Café Max & Rosie’s by Max and Rosie Beeby (Ten Speed Press, 2000).
- Serving Size: 4 to 6 Servings
- Calories: 450
- Carbohydrate Content: 83 g
- Fat Content: 8 g
- Fiber Content: 12 g
- Protein Content: 16 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 997 mg