Traditional paella pans are round, shallow metal pans that let the rice and vegetables cook evenly without getting mushy. A wok will do the job just as well; the wide mouth lets liquid evaporate, so the rice cooks and the other ingredients steam rather than boil.
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 7-oz. pkgs. spicy marinated tofu, finely diced
- 8 oz. cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 large carrots, diced (1 cup)
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 1 14-oz. can chopped tomatoes, drained
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (4 tsp.)
- 1 cup short-grain brown rice
- 1/8 tsp. saffron, crumbled
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peas, thawed
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced, for garnish
1. Heat oil in wok over medium-high heat. Add tofu when ripples appear in oil, and season with salt. Sauté 10 minutes, or until tofu is browned, stirring occasionally. Add mushrooms, and sauté 4 to 5 minutes, or until mushrooms release liquid and begin to brown.
2. Stir in carrots, corn, tomatoes, and garlic, and sauté 2 minutes more. Stir in rice, 2 1/4 cups water, and saffron. Bring paella to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover with wok lid, and simmer 40 minutes, or until all liquid is absorbed. Add peas on surface (do not stir yet), cover, and allow peas to steam 1 to 2 minutes. Remove wok from heat, and stir in lemon juice and green onions. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serving Size: Serves 6
- Calories: 375
- Carbohydrate Content: 45 g
- Fat Content: 12 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 22 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 569 mg
- Sugar Content: 5 g