Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
These recipes originally appeared in Clean Eating Magazine. For more healthy recipes, visit cleaneating.com.
1. Prepare broth: In a stockpot on medium-high, heat oil. Add yellow onion and sweat until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, ginger and five-spice, stirring until fragrant, about 1 minute.
2. Add broth, tamari, hoisin, star anise and cinnamon; bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer for 1 hour, 15 minutes, skimming off foam as it simmers.
3. Strain broth through a cheesecloth-lined mesh sieve and return to stockpot. Add bok choy and mushrooms and return to a boil.
4. Into 4 bowls, divide noodles. Divide hot broth with mushrooms and bok choy over the noodles.
5. Garnish with bean sprouts, basil, cilantro, green onions and chile. Serve with lime wedges and hoisin on the side (if using).
- Serving Size 1/4 of recipe
- Calories 293
- Carbohydrate Content 55 g
- Fat Content 2 g
- Fiber Content 6 g
- Protein Content 9 g
- Sodium Content 921 mg
- Sugar Content 9 g