This recipe relies on fresh garlic and fresh ginger as well as Chinese hoisin sauce to flavor the vegetable mixture. If you use a food processor to mince the ingredients, avoid overprocessing it or the mixture will turn to mush. You may fry the dumplings in a large skillet instead of boiling them. Allow about 4 dumplings per serving.
- 2 large carrots, cut into chunks
- 8 oz. firm tofu
- 7 dried black Chinese mushrooms, soaked in hot water to rehydrate
- 1/2 lb. spinach, rinsed and trimmed
- 6 large leaves Chinese or American cabbage, trimmed
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, rinsed and trimmed
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 Tbs. minced fresh ginger
- 2 Tbs. low-sodium soy sauce
- 3 Tbs. cornstarch
- 2 Tbs. hoisin sauce
- 1 Tbs. sesame oil
- 1 to 3 tsp. salt, or to taste
- 50 3-inch-round wonton wrappers
- 3 Tbs. low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tbs. rice vinegar
- 1 Tbs. sesame oil
- 1/2 Tbs. chili sauce
- To make Dumplings: Dry carrots, tofu, mushrooms, spinach, cabbage, garlic and cilantro thoroughly, and put into food processor, and chop very finely. Put vegetable mixture into a large bowl.
- Mix together egg, ginger, soy sauce, cornstarch, hoisin sauce, sesame oil and salt. Stir egg mixture into bowl with vegetable mixture. Drain any excess liquid from mixture.
- Place dumpling wrappers, one at a time, on flat work surface. Place a spoonful of mixture on center, brush water around edges of wrapper and crimp shut to seal. Repeat process until all ingredients are used up.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add dumplings, 12 at a time to water, and cook for about 4 minutes, or until dumplings float to surface. Use a slotted skimmer to remove from water, and set aside in a bowl. Keep from touching while still hot or dumplings may stick.
- To make Dipping Sauce: Combine all ingredients, mixing well, and set aside.
- To serve, arrange Dumplings on a platter, and pass with Dipping Sauce.
- Serving Size: SERVES about 10
- Calories: 210
- Carbohydrate Content: 33 g
- Cholesterol Content: 25 mg
- Fat Content: 5 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 8 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 770 mg
- Sugar Content: 2 g