30 minutes or less
Warmer days mean outdoor grilling, though this entr8Ee cooks just as well under your broiler or on a stovetop grill. If you want to use charcoal, be sure to light the coals at least half an hour before cooking time. Use metal skewers because bamboo skewers tend to char over hot coals or under the broiler. This recipe provides a guide, but you can vary your grilling selection and the amount of teriyaki marinade to suit your taste. Look for a teriyaki marinade in the oriental foods section of your market. Serve the kabobs with a tossed green salad and something light for dessert, such as a fruit sorbet.
- 1 cup quick-cooking couscous
- 4 oz. teriyaki-flavored baked tofu
- 8 large white mushrooms, stems on
- 1 zucchini, cut into wedges
- 10 cherry tomatoes
- 4 vegetarian “meatballs”
- Teriyaki marinade to taste
- 4 10- to 12-inch-long metal skewers
- Bring a pot with 11/2 cups water to a boil over medium heat, and stir in couscous. Cook according to package directions. Remove from heat, and set aside.
- Preheat broiler or indoor grill, or, if using an outdoor grill, be sure coals are ready for cooking.
- Cut tofu into 4 large pieces. Start threading ingredients on skewers, beginning with a mushroom, cap side first. Alternate tofu, zucchini wedge and tomato, ending with a mushroom, stem end first. Repeat with second skewer. For remaining skewers, use ” instead of tofu. Place filled skewers on baking sheet, and drizzle with teriyaki marinade to taste.
- Broil or grill skewers, turning after first 5 minutes of cooking, and drizzle with additional teriyaki sauce. Cook for about 5 minutes more, or until mushrooms are tender. Remove from heat.
- To serve, spoon couscous on individual plates, and top with 2 skewers per serving.
A glass of Pinot Noir (always the perfect wine for any dish) provides a delightful balance to the tangy teriyaki flavor of this dish. Try the King’s Ridge Pinot Noir from Oregon. It’s got a deep, rich, ruby-red color but is surprisingly mild.
- Serving Size: Serves 2
- Calories: 590
- Carbohydrate Content: 87 g
- Fat Content: 12 g
- Fiber Content: 10 g
- Protein Content: 39 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 500 mg
- Sugar Content: 8 g