Keep a taste of the Southwest right in your freezer with this easy tamale pie.
- 1/2 cup dry polenta or corn grits
- 1/4 cup grated sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 tsp. vegetable oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (1 Tbs.)
- 1 medium onion, diced (1 cup)
- 1 small zucchini, diced (1/2 cup)
- 1/2 medium red, yellow, or orange bell pepper, diced (1/2 cup)
- 1 Tbs. chili powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. dried oregano (Mexican, if available)
- 1 15-oz. can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 14.5-oz. can tomato purée
- 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels
- 2 tsp. brown rice flour
1. To make Topping: Preheat oven to 375°F. Bring 2 cups water to a boil in saucepan. Stir in polenta, reduce heat to medium, and simmer 30 minutes, stirring often. Stir in cheese. Set aside.
2. To make Filling: Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and onion, and cook 5 minutes. Add zucchini, bell pepper, chili powder, cumin, and oregano. Cook 5 minutes more.
3. Stir in beans, tomato purée, and corn. Mix rice flour with ı/4 cup cold water; stir into zucchini mixture. Cook 3 minutes, or until mixture thickens slightly. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
4. Spread Filling into 8-inch-square baking pan. Spread Topping over Filling.
5. Place casserole on baking sheet. Bake 40 minutes, or until filling bubbles and top is golden. Let stand before serving.
6. Frozen cooking instructions: Preheat oven to 375°F. Cover casserole with foil, and place on baking sheet. Bake 90 minutes. Remove foil during last 15 minutes of baking.
- Serving Size: Serves 6
- Calories: 195
- Carbohydrate Content: 31 g
- Cholesterol Content: 6 mg
- Fat Content: 5 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 628 mg
- Sugar Content: 7 g