Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
Keep a taste of the Southwest right in your freezer with this easy tamale pie.
1. To make Topping: Preheat oven to 375°F. Bring 2 cups water to a boil in saucepan. Stir in polenta, reduce heat to medium, and simmer 30 minutes, stirring often. Stir in cheese. Set aside.
2. To make Filling: Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and onion, and cook 5 minutes. Add zucchini, bell pepper, chili powder, cumin, and oregano. Cook 5 minutes more.
3. Stir in beans, tomato purée, and corn. Mix rice flour with ı/4 cup cold water; stir into zucchini mixture. Cook 3 minutes, or until mixture thickens slightly. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
4. Spread Filling into 8-inch-square baking pan. Spread Topping over Filling.
5. Place casserole on baking sheet. Bake 40 minutes, or until filling bubbles and top is golden. Let stand before serving.
6. Frozen cooking instructions: Preheat oven to 375°F. Cover casserole with foil, and place on baking sheet. Bake 90 minutes. Remove foil during last 15 minutes of baking.
- Serving Size Serves 6
- Calories 195
- Carbohydrate Content 31 g
- Cholesterol Content 6 mg
- Fat Content 5 g
- Fiber Content 6 g
- Protein Content 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 628 mg
- Sugar Content 7 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g