Spicy, tender apple varieties such as Winesap, Rome, Empire and Gala are best for this quick-cooking treat.
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 2 large apples, peeled and coarsely chopped (about 3 cups)
- 3 Tbs. flour
- 2 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbs. light brown sugar
- 2 Tbs. granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 6 sheets frozen phyllo dough, thawed
- Preheat oven to 350F. Coat large baking sheet with cooking spray. Place raisins in small bowl, and cover with boiling water. Soak 5 minutes to plump, then drain.
- Toss together raisins, apples, flour, lemon juice and brown sugar in bowl, and set aside.
- Stir together granulated sugar and cinnamon. Place 1 phyllo sheet on work surface, and lightly coat with cooking spray. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Top with second phyllo sheet. Repeat with remaining phyllo and sugar.
- Spoon apple mixture into center of phyllo sheets, leaving 2-inch border on all sides. Tuck end borders over apple mixture, then loosely roll into a log. Place seam side down on prepared baking sheet. Spray with cooking spray, and sprinkle with remaining cinnamon sugar. Bake 35 minutes, or until golden brown. Slice on diagonal into 8 portions, and serve.
- Serving Size: Serves 8
- Calories: 132
- Carbohydrate Content: 30 g
- Fat Content: 1 g
- Fiber Content: 1 g
- Protein Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 71 mg
- Sugar Content: 17 g