You can use almost any combination of vegetables in these wraps. When you have all the elements ready, set the ingredients out on individual platters and let guests make their own wraps. If you can’t find rice paper wrappers, which add a nice chewy texture, roll the ingredients in lettuce leaves.
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 2 Tbs. chopped unsalted dry-roasted peanuts
- 1 medium sweet potato (5 oz.)
- 1 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 1 lb. firm tofu, well drained and cut into 3 x 1/2-inch sticks
- 12 rice paper wrapper triangles (optional)
- 1 large cucumber, peeled, quartered lengthwise, seeded and thinly sliced diagonally (1 cup)
- Chopped fresh herbs (such as chives, cilantro or mint leaves)
- 1 1/2 cups bean sprouts
- 1 head Boston lettuce, separated into leaves
- Dipping sauce: In small saucepan, mix hoisin sauce, oil and 1/3 cup water. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring until smooth. Remove from heat and stir in peanuts. Pour into small serving bowl and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, in medium saucepan, combine sweet potato and cold water to cover. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat and simmer until just fork-tender, about 15 minutes. Drain, cool slightly and cut in half lengthwise. Peel and cut lengthwise into 12 sticks (like fat french fries). Set aside.
- In large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add tofu sticks, in batches if necessary, and cook until golden, turning on all sides, 5 to 7 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
- If using rice paper wrappers, brush well with water and arrange, overlapping, on large plate; they soften after they stand for a few minutes. Place remaining ingredients on several plates.
- To make individual rolls, place softened triangle on work surface, pointed end toward you. Arrange 1 piece each of tofu and sweet potato vertically in center. Top with a few slices of cucumber and some chopped herbs. Roll up from one side, cone fashion. Distribute some bean sprouts on 1 lettuce leaf. Place "cone" on top and roll lettuce around. Repeat with remaining ingredients. Serve with dipping sauce.
- Serving Size: Makes 12
- Calories: 74
- Carbohydrate Content: 6 g
- Fat Content: 4 g
- Fiber Content: 1 g
- Protein Content: 4 g
- Sodium Content: 17 mg