"Being an artist shapes the way I approach cooking," says 2005 Recipe Contest Finalist Joan Ranzini. "In creating new recipes, I consider the texture, color and flavor as if I were choosing a paint from my palette." VT tasters were so impressed with how Joan turned frozen potatoes and beans into a fresh-tasting salad that they insisted on including two potato salads in the finalists.
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat soy mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 Tbs. hazelnut oil or olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp. dried chili flakes
- 2 16-oz. pkg. frozen all-natural oven fries (olive oil, rosemary and garlic flavor preferred)
- 1 16-oz. pkg. frozen cut Italian green beans
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts, toasted, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup pitted kalamata olives
- 1/4 cup sliced red onion
1. Preheat oven to 425°F.
To make Dressing:
2. Whisk together all ingredients in small bowl. Season to taste with salt, and set aside.
To make Salad:
3. Bake oven fries 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown. Cook green beans in boiling salted water 5 minutes, or until crisp-tender. Rinse beans under cold water, and drain well.
4. Combine beans, hazelnuts, olives and onion in large bowl. Add hot potatoes and dressing, and toss gently to coat. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Serving Size: Serves 8
- Calories: 281
- Carbohydrate Content: 33 g
- Fat Content: 14 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 353 mg
- Sugar Content: 2 g