A zesty vinaigrette and tart green apples complement sweet root veggies and bitter kale. It’s balancing for kaphas and pittas, but vatas should eat this moderately.
- 1 cup apple cider
- 2 tbsp apple-cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 tsp cinnamon
- 1⁄2 tsp turmeric
- 1⁄2 tsp sea salt
- 4 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 1⁄2 cups parsnips,turnips,and sweet potatoes, diced in 1⁄2-inch chunks
- 8 cups Lacinata kale, de-stemmed, cut in 1⁄4-inch ribbons
- 1⁄2 cup green apple, medium-diced
In a small saucepan over high heat, combine cider, vinegar, and spices. Bring to a boil. Remove vinaigrette from heat immediately and let cool.
Heat oven to 350°F. On the range, heat a large oven-safe sauté pan over medium heat. Add 2 tbsp olive oil and root vegetables; sauté until lightly browned.
Transfer pan to oven and roast until tender, 10 minutes. Remove vegetables. Add remaining 2 tbsp oil, kale, and apples to still-hot pan. Cook on medium heat until kale begins to wilt, 3 minutes.
Add root vegetables and vinaigrette to pan. Cook, stirring until kale is tender and vinaigrette is reduced by half, 5 minutes. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Serving Size: 8
- Calories: 128
- Carbohydrate Content: 16 g
- Fat Content: 7 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 4 g