Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
These little cakes, based on an old Amish recipe, bake into two layersone creamy and the other cake-like.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Coat 8 6-oz. ramekins or custard cups with cooking spray, and set in large roasting pan.
- To make Pudding Cakes: Put butter, 1/4 cup sugar and lemon zest in large bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on high until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks 1 at a time, and beat until incorporated. Beat in flour and lemon juice. Add milk, and beat until combined; mixture will look lumpy.
- Beat egg whites in separate bowl until foamy. Slowly add 1/2 cup sugar, beating until whites form stiff, glossy peaks. Fold into lemon mixture.
- Spoon batter into ramekins. Set pan on middle rack of oven. Pour enough hot water into roasting pan to reach halfway up ramekins. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, until tops are puffed and cracked. Remove ramekins from water with tongs; set on wire rack to cool.
- To make Blueberry Compote: Simmer all ingredients in small saucepan over medium heat until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Serve with cakes.
- Serving Size Serves 8
- Calories 237
- Carbohydrate Content 38 g
- Cholesterol Content 97 mg
- Fat Content 8 g
- Fiber Content 1 g
- Protein Content 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4 g
- Sodium Content 45 mg
- Sugar Content 30 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g