Raspberries and figs make an extraordinary combination. Recipe adapted from Breakfast in Bed (HarperCollins, 1997).
- 2 cups apple juice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 whole cloves
- Large mint leaf
- 8 very ripe fresh figs or rehydrated dry
- 1/2 pt. fresh raspberries or organic frozen
- Juice of 1 large lemon (4 Tbs.)
- In large saucepan, combine apple juice, lemon juice, cinnamon, cloves and mint leaf. Bring to a simmer over medium-low heat. Cook, uncovered for 10 minutes, reducing liquid by one-third. Add figs and simmer, covered, until very soft, about 10 to 15 minutes .
- With slotted spoon, remove figs to serving bowl. Strain the juice and return to pan. Reduce it by half over high heat until it becomes somewhat syrupy. Top figs with raspberries and drizzle with a little of the reduced syrup.
- Serving Size: 4 Servings
- Calories: 148
- Carbohydrate Content: 37 g
- Fat Content: 1 g
- Fiber Content: 1 g
- Protein Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 5 mg