Watermelon lovers go wild for this dessert: Freezing watermelon juice with a sugar syrup intensifies the fruit flavors.
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 small fresh mint sprig
- 1 2-inch piece lime zest
- 2 1/2 Tbs. lime juice
- 3 lb. watermelon, cut into chunks
- Combine sugar, mint, lime zest and 1/3 cup water in small saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, and cook 1 minute, or until sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat, and cool. Strain, and remove mint and zest.
- Purée watermelon in blender or food processor. Strain liquid. You should have about 2 cups juice.
- Combine watermelon juice and lime juice in large bowl. Add sugar syrup and stir to combine. Pour into 9x9-inch baking tin, and freeze 45 minutes. Stir with fork. Continue to freeze 3 to 4 hours, stirring every 1/2 hour to fluff crystals and prevent granita from turning solid. Cover with plastic wrap, and freeze until dessert time. Scoop into bowls with fork or small spoon, and serve.
- Serving Size: Serves 4
- Calories: 100
- Carbohydrate Content: 26 g
- Protein Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 1 mg
- Sugar Content: 24 g