Wehani rice, bred by the Lundberg family of Northern California, packs such a wallop of nutty flavor that it needs little embellishment. Top with whatever vegetables are in season. Experience will teach you when the rice is about 10 minutes from being done, so you can add the vegetables.
Medium (6-cup) rice cooker; fuzzy logic or on/off
Cycle: Regular/brown rice
- 1 cup Wehani rice
- 1 3/4 cups plus 2 Tbs. water
- 1 Tbs. onion or mushroom food base, available in natural-food stores, optional
- 2 cups or more fresh seasonal vegetables
- 3 Tbs. grated Parmesan cheese
- Place rice in fine-mesh strainer and rinse under cold water; drain well.
- Transfer rice to rice cooker bowl. Add water and food base if using; stir. Close lid and set on regular/brown rice cycle. About 10 minutes before rice cycle is completed, add vegetables on top of rice and continue cooking.
- When machine switches to keep-warm cycle, let rice and vegetables sit about 10 minutes. Serve with sprinkling of cheese.
- Serving Size: SERVES 2 TO 3
- Calories: 330
- Carbohydrate Content: 64 g
- Cholesterol Content: 5 mg
- Fat Content: 3 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 10 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 150 mg