For exclusive access to all our stories, including sequences, teacher tips, video classes, and more, join Outside+ today.
This salad will satisfy your health needs and taste buds.
1. Rinse wheat berries and drain. Place in a large pot with 3 cups water and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat, and simmer until wheat berries are soft, about 40 minutes. Drain and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, and salt and freshly ground pepper. Add the cranberries, chives, and parsley.
3. Fluff the wheat berries with a fork and stir them into the cranberry mixture. Mix well to combine; serve immediately or refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Change It Up
Vary this grain salad recipe according to the season and the ingredients you have on hand:
1. Substitute wild rice for the wheat berries and dried cherries for the cranberries; add toasted pine nuts or pistachios.
2. Try sweet onions and diced fresh peaches instead of the chives and dried cranberries, and use hulled barley instead of wheat berries. Add crumbled feta or goat cheese, if you’d like.
- Calories 0
- Carbohydrate Content 0 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 0 g
- Fiber Content 0 g
- Protein Content 0 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0 g
- Sodium Content 0 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g