This hearty, no-fuss combo is a superb way to use canned beans and tempeh. Sherry gives the dish quite a flavor boost, but if you choose to omit it, the dish will still be delicious.
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 medium carrot, diced ( 1/2 cup)
- 1 stalk celery, diced ( 1/2 cup)
- 1 small bay leaf
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 15-oz. can white kidney beans (cannellini)
- 15-oz. can red kidney beans
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes
- 8-oz. pkg. tempeh, diced
- 1 Tbs. dry sherry (optional)
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- Chopped fresh parsley for garnish
- In large pot, combine broth, garlic, onion, carrot, celery, bay leaf, basil, oregano, dried parsley and thyme. Mix well. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Stir in both beans (with their liquid), tomatoes and tempeh. Cook, uncovered, until mixture comes to a boil, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and discard bay leaf. Stir in sherry if desired and season with salt and pepper. Serve hot, garnished with parsley.
- Serving Size: 4 servings
- Calories: 387
- Carbohydrate Content: 58 g
- Fat Content: 5 g
- Fiber Content: 14 g
- Protein Content: 26 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 936 mg