In a classic cassoulet, a variety of meats complement the traditional white beans. In this version, a flavorful selection of winter root vegetables takes their place. For a heartier dish, add browned and sliced soy sausage links just before serving. Canned white beans make this recipe super-easy to assemble.
- Pour oil into slow cooker, and turn it on high. Add shallots and garlic. Cover, and cook to soften, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add carrots, turnip, parsnip, beans and tomatoes. Stir in stock, bay leaves, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Reduce heat to low. Cover, and cook until all vegetables are tender, 6 to 8 hours.
- Remove and discard bay leavesbefore serving. Garnish with breadcrumbs and minced parsley.
STOVETOP METHOD: Heat oil in 5- to 6-quart Dutch oven or other large pot over medium heat. Add shallots, garlic and carrots. Cover, and cook 5 minutes to soften. Reduce heat tolow. Add remaining ingredients, and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Serving Size Serves 4
- Calories 490
- Carbohydrate Content 88 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 5 g
- Fiber Content 21 g
- Protein Content 26 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 260 mg
- Sugar Content 7 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g