To make bread crumbs, whirl two or three slices of day-old French bread in a food processor or blender to fine crumbs.
- 1 large bunch leafy greens, such as chard, kale or beet greens, or a mixture (about 1 3/4 lbs.)
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 medium cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 cups cooked or canned white beans, rinsed and drained if canned
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 3 Tbs. olive oil
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease 9-inch round or 10-inch oval gratin or baking dish. Remove tough stems from greens and rinse well. Stack greens and cut into thin strips.
- In Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic and stir 30 seconds. Add greens and cook until tender, tossing often, about 7 minutes. Remove from heat. Add beans, tomatoes, broth, thyme and salt and mix well. Spoon into prepared gratin dish, spreading evenly.
- Topping: In small bowl, mix all ingredients. Sprinkle evenly over top of greens mixture. Bake until hot, about 40 minutes.
- Serving Size: 4 servings
- Calories: 437
- Carbohydrate Content: 50 g
- Fat Content: 19 g
- Fiber Content: 10 g
- Protein Content: 16 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 26 mg