This side dish shows just how oregano brightens a simple ingredient like white beans. You can also purée the mixture and serve it cold as a dip for vegetables and bread sticks.
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (1 Tbs.)
- 1 Tbs. dried oregano
- 2 15-oz. cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Add onion, and sauté 5 to 7 minutes, or until onion begins to brown. Stir in garlic and oregano, and cook 30 seconds, or until fragrant.
- Add beans and 1 cup water, and season with salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 15 minutes, or until half of liquid has evaporated, but beans are still a little soupy.
- Serving Size: Serves 6
- Calories: 164
- Carbohydrate Content: 23 g
- Fat Content: 5 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 6 g
- Sodium Content: 317 mg
- Sugar Content: 1 g