“I have been cooking ever since I could see over the stove, but needed to get stuck behind a desk to inspire me to cook professionally,” says Emily Peterson. As a birthday present to herself, she enrolled at the Institute of Culinary Education in New York, and has never looked back. Emily now teaches cooking classes at the Astor Center in New York, provides cooking demonstrations at local farmers’ markets, and cooks at The Green Table restaurant. To create this winning entrée, she used won ton wrappers to make ravioli—a time-saving trick that let her focus on the filling ingredients instead of fussing with dough and pasta makers.
- serving (8 ravioli)Servings
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 small shallot, minced (2 Tbs.)
- 1 4-oz pkg. “gourmet blend” mushrooms (shiitakes, oyster mushrooms, and baby bellas), diced
- 2 Tbs. white wine
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
- 20 square won ton wrappers
- 1/4 lb. (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 4 fresh sage leaves, plus more for garnish
- 2 Tbs. grated Parmesan cheese
1. Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Add shallot, and sauté 2 minutes. Add mushrooms, and cook 7 to 10 minutes, or until softened. Add wine and thyme, and cook 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Cool.
2. Cut 1 won ton wrapper in half, to form 2 rectangles. Brush edges of won ton half with water, and place 1 tsp. mushroom mixture on one side. Fold won ton wrapper in half to make square ravioli, pressing on edges to seal. Place on baking sheet. Repeat with remaining won ton wrappers and filling.
3. Melt butter in large skillet over low heat. Add sage leaves, and cook 8 to 10 minutes, or until fatty solids in butter sink to bottom of saucepan and turn nutty brown.
4. Meanwhile, cook ravioli in large pot of boiling salted water 2 minutes, or until they float to top. Transfer to skillet with slotted spoon, and toss to coat with brown butter sauce. Season with salt and pepper, if desired, and sprinkle with cheese.
- Serving Size: Serves 5
- Calories: 298
- Carbohydrate Content: 21 g
- Cholesterol Content: 53 mg
- Fat Content: 25 g
- Protein Content: 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 13 g
- Sodium Content: 336 mg