- 1/3 cup uncooked wild rice, well rinsed
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 3 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 Tbs. chopped fresh thyme or 4 tsp. dried
- 1 lb. mixed mushrooms, such as shiitake, oyster and cremini, chopped
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground white pepper
- 1 Tbs. dry sherry (optional)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- In medium saucepan, bring 1 cup water and salt to a boil. Stir in wild rice and return to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until tender, about 55 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic, onion and thyme and cook, stirring often, 2 minutes. Add mushrooms, reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is tender, about 7 minutes. Add broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- Transfer half of soup to blender and blend until almost pureed. Return to saucepan and stir in wild rice and pepper. Return to a simmer over medium-high heat. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer 10 minutes. Adjust seasoning to taste. Just before serving, stir in sherry if desired.
- Serving Size: 6 servings
- Calories: 177
- Carbohydrate Content: 12 g
- Fat Content: 5 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 367 mg