With its chewy texture and nutty flavor, wild rice is an excellent base for a hearty but high-style salad. Here, its contrasted with lush, tender mango bathed in a refreshing citrus dressing and topped with crunchy pistachios. Kept separately, the salad and dressing can be refrigerated in covered containers for up to 1 day.
- 1 cup wild rice, rinsed
- 2 ripe, firm mangoes, peeled and diced
- 1 medium-sized red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup shelled pistachios, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- To make Salad: Bring large saucepan of lightly salted water to a boil over medium-high heat. Add wild rice, cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook 45 to 55 minutes, or until rice grains are chewy-tender and starting to split. Drain, and rinse under cold running water.
- Meanwhile, to make Dressing: Whisk together all ingredients in large bowl. Set aside.
- To assemble, add cooled wild rice to dressing, and toss well to coat. Add mangoes, red pepper, onion and cilantro; toss again. Sprinkle with pistachios, and serve.
- Serving Size: SERVES 8
- Calories: 210
- Carbohydrate Content: 25 g
- Fat Content: 11 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 110 mg
- Sugar Content: 4 g