- 2/3 cup uncooked wild rice, rinsed
- 2/3 cup uncooked long-grain brown rice, rinsed
- 1 tsp. seasoned salt
- 2 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 2 medium tart apples (such as Granny Smith) peeled, cored and diced
- 1/2 cup dried currants
- 1/3 cup fresh orange juice, or more as needed
- 2 to 3 scallions (white and light green parts), thinly sliced
- Pinch each of ground cinnamon and ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup finely chopped pecans
- 2 Tbs. chopped fresh parsley
- In medium, heavy saucepan, bring 3 3/4 cups water to a boil over high heat. Stir in both rices and seasoned salt; return to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until water is absorbed, about 50 minutes. Drain any excess water. Set aside.
- In very large skillet or stir-fry pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 8 minutes. Stir in apples and cook 5 minutes.
- Stir in cooked rice mixture along with currants, orange juice, scallions, cinnamon and nutmeg. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring often, 5 minutes. Add a bit more orange juice or water if mixture seems dry. Stir in pecans and parsley and serve hot.
- Serving Size: 6 to 8 servings
- Calories: 282
- Carbohydrate Content: 48 g
- Fat Content: 9 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 360 mg