This dish is great on its own or served in baked acorn squash halves and topped with Mushroom Gravy (November '98, p. 69) as a main dish.
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 to 4 Tbs. soy margarine or butter
- 2 medium shallots, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup drained, canned apricot halves, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- Cook rice with water and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a medium saucepan, covered, until grains split open, about 60 minutes. Drain any excess water and allow rice to cool.
- Melt margarine or butter in a small skillet; add shallots and garlic, and cook, stirring often, 2 minutes. Transfer vegetables to a medium bowl and add rice, apricots, parsley, pepper and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt; mix well.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Transfer rice mixture to a medium baking dish, cover and bake 15 minutes. Serve hot or at room temperature.
- Serving Size: 8 servings
- Calories: 149
- Carbohydrate Content: 28 g
- Fat Content: 3 g
- Fiber Content: 1 g
- Protein Content: 4 g
- Sodium Content: 150 mg