Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
Try to find fruits dried without added sugar when making this holiday fruitcake. The cake slices more easily if made two or three days in advance. Decorate the cake as fancifully as desired.
- Preheat oven to 300F. Grease and flour 10-cup bundt pan.
- To make fruitcake: In large mixing bowl, mix flour, baking powder, soda, salt and spices until well combined. Add all fruits and nuts to flour mixture, and toss until well coated.
- Blend together applesauce, oil, barley malt and vinegar. Working quickly, mix wet ingredients into dry, stirring only until mixed thoroughly. Pour batter into pan and place in center of oven.
- Bake for 1 1/2 hours, or until done. Cool cake completely on rack.
- Meanwhile, to make icing: Place confectioner’s sugar in bowl, and whisk in enough cold water to form thick paste. Add 2 to 3 drops lemon juice. Drizzle icing over cake in swirls or an attractive pattern, add garnish if desired and serve.
Not every year is a vintage year for Port, but 1997 was just such a stellar year. For over 200 years, the House of Sandeman has been making world-class Port originating in Spain and Portugal. Try a vintage Port or Sandeman’s Founder’s Reserve Port.
- Serving Size Serves 18
- Calories 450
- Carbohydrate Content 69 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 17 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 210 mg
- Sugar Content 41 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g