30 minutes or fewer
This recipe has the rich, creamy texture of traditional mashed potatoes but with a lot less fat and a whole lot of flavor. If youre not a fan of horseradish, substitute ¼ cup prepared pesto for a more mellow flavor.
- 3 lb. Yukon gold or russet (baking) potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 cup plain soymilk
- 2 Tbs. to ¼ cup horseradish, optional
- 3 Tbs. corn or canola oil
- Place potatoes in large pot, and cover with salted cold water. Bring to boil, reduce heat to medium low, and simmer 18 minutes, or until tender.
- Just before potatoes are done, bring soymilk just to a simmer in small saucepan over medium heat.
- Drain potatoes well in a colander, then return to pot along with ¾ cup soymilk, horseradish, if using, and oil. Mash with potato masher until combined well. Season with salt and pepper, and add remaining soymilk, if necessary. Serve immediately.
- Serving Size: Serves 6
- Calories: 247
- Carbohydrate Content: 41 g
- Fat Content: 7 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 103 mg
- Sugar Content: 3 g