Dont be put off by the 3-hour pickling time. Just set the vegetables aside with the salt and ice, and go about your activities; then finish up later.
- 3/4 lb. zucchini, cut into 3-inch strips
- 3/4 lb. yellow squash, cut into 3-inch strips
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and sliced
- 1/4 cup salt
- 2 cups ice
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tbs. celery seeds
- 1 tsp. mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp. ground turmeric
- Toss zucchini and squash strips, onion slices and pepper slices with salt in large, non-reactive bowl. Cover with ice, and let stand 3 hours.
- Drain and rinse vegetables. Combine remaining ingredients in large, nonreactive saucepan. Bring to a boil, and add drained vegetables.
- Return mixture to a boil, then remove from heat and ladle into jars, making sure vegetables are completely covered with liquid and that jars are filled to 1/4 inch from the rim. Wipe off any drips, then screw on tops. Invert jars 5 minutes, or immerse in boiling water bath 10 minutes.
- Serving Size: Makes 1 1-qt. jar or 4 8-oz. jars
- Calories: 10
- Carbohydrate Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 218 mg
- Sugar Content: 2 g