Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
Dont be put off by the 3-hour pickling time. Just set the vegetables aside with the salt and ice, and go about your activities; then finish up later.
- Toss zucchini and squash strips, onion slices and pepper slices with salt in large, non-reactive bowl. Cover with ice, and let stand 3 hours.
- Drain and rinse vegetables. Combine remaining ingredients in large, nonreactive saucepan. Bring to a boil, and add drained vegetables.
- Return mixture to a boil, then remove from heat and ladle into jars, making sure vegetables are completely covered with liquid and that jars are filled to 1/4 inch from the rim. Wipe off any drips, then screw on tops. Invert jars 5 minutes, or immerse in boiling water bath 10 minutes.
- Serving Size Makes 1 1-qt. jar or 4 8-oz. jars
- Calories 10
- Carbohydrate Content 2 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 0 g
- Fiber Content 0 g
- Protein Content 0 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0 g
- Sodium Content 218 mg
- Sugar Content 2 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g