I spend an obscene amount of money supporting my yoga obsession. I buy mats, clothes, jewelry, books, magazines, classes, an occasional trip to study with a rockstar teacher … Seriously. You could put an Om sign on a rotten tomato, and I’d probably buy it. Just tell me it will help balance my chakras and I’m sold! That’s how much I love the practice of yoga. But you know what? It’s all ridiculously unnecessary.
Yoga is free! It doesn’t cost anything to be a devoted student. Don’t believe me? Here are 5 ways to practice yoga without paying a dime!
1. Practice at home. It’s not exactly a novel idea, but a practicing at home is not only a great way to save money, it’s also a great way to work on the poses that you need to work on.
2. Ask your studio owner if there’s a work exchange program. Your studio might need help sweeping floors, putting props away, or manning the front desk. Even if there isn’t an official program, you may be able to offer your help in exchange for a free class every now and then!
3. Ask your teacher to trade. If your studio doesn’t have a work exchange program, maybe your teacher will! Being a yoga teacher is a business and many of would be happy to work out a trade with you if you have skills that can help their businesses grow. Can you build a web page? Savvy with online marketing? Are you a great writer or artist? Offer it up!
4. Find a donation-based class. Donation-based classes are designed for students to pay what they can. If you really can’t afford to pay for class, just come and practice. (Talk to your teacher if you’re worried he or she would be upset.) Just make sure that when you come into more money later, you keep going–and pay a little extra for good karma.
5. Use online resources. YouTube, podcasts, and blogs, oh my! There are free yoga resources all OVER the Internet. So if you’re looking for a great option for free, it’s right at your fingertips anytime you’re in the mood!